You use the Internet and browse different websites, you may face 502 bad gateway errors which is actually an HTTP response code. This error tells us one server on the internet found an invalid response from another server. The results of the code have a great relationship between the client and the web application. So, we will discuss the solution to 502 bad Gateway errors, in this article. When you see 502 bad Gateway error, it means the website has a problem, not your browser or your devices that have been using.
502 bad Gateway errors show that the edge server act as a proxy. It was not suitable to get a logical response from the original server. This original server is also called the upstream server.
You can see this type of error message when you try to open something in Google. But Google cannot open the site as your wish and show this type of message. These are examples of 502 Bad Gateway errors.
- In Twitter, this error message shows in this form.
- When one server found an invalid response from another server.
- We see this variation of 502 bad gateway error when a Web server got an invalid response while behaving as a gateway or proxy server.
There are many types of 500 error status codes like 501,502 etc. These errors have different meanings as compared to the 502 Bad Gateway error. These errors show that the request of users has been accepted but the server cannot fulfill this request. But in the 502 Bad Gateway error shows that the server act as a proxy or Gateway that has not received an invalid response from the server. There is a few more example of 502 Bad Gateway. You can see it in different browsers, web servers, and operating systems. These errors are represented in different ways but they have the same meaning and reason for their occurrence.
Different Variations of 502 Bad Gateway Error:
Here is the list of 502 bad gateway errors which we see on the web.
- 502 Bad Gateway
- Error 502
- HTTP Error 502-Bad GateWay
- 502 Services Temporarily Overloaded
- 502 Proxy Error
- A black-white screen
- “502 Server Error” In this Error show the server cannot complete the request.
- HTTP 502.
Reasons for Occurrence 502 Bad Gateway Error:
These errors are occurred due to many reasons. These are following below.
Server Overloaded by visitors:
When a good number of users visit one website at one time then at that time the server becomes overloaded. The server can jam due to dead memory and overloaded visitor of one site or a DDOS attack.
Firewall Blocks Request Between Servers:
A firewall blocks all the requests and communication between the server’s edge and origin. Some DDOS provides a protection system that can overreact and block requests from the content delivery system.
An Error in the website’s code occurs its shows that the request cannot answer correctly.
Networking problem is also one reason for the 502 Bad Gateway error DNS, routing, and ISP problems cause this error.
How to fix 502 Bad Gateway Error:
A 502 bad Gateway Error occurs due to networking and server-related problems. It is also called a client-side problem. Mostly this type of error is resolved only refresh the web browser if this problem occurred due to the overloaded server. If you cannot resolve the issue then you can check the reason for the problem.
Here I will discuss many solutions for you to handle this problem.
Solution 1: Fixes Reloading
This is a very easy method to resolve the issue of 502 Bad Gateway errors by reloading pages of browsers or websites. If this problem occurs you will wait for a minute and then reload the page by pressing an F5 or Ctrl + F5 or clicking reload /refresh button of the URL. Through this action host or server will be overloaded and the site will come back at that time.
You have 2nd option to resolve the issue past the URL of the website on this website https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/. This website will also tell the main problem behind your 502 Bad Gateways error. You come to know that this website will be down or have a problem.
You have a 3rd option you should close the browser window then again open the window of the browser to start a new session of the browser and try to open the desired webpage again.
Solutions 2: Fix DNS Problems
When the domain of the website cannot resolve the correct IP then the user faces the problem of 502 Bad Gateway error. If you want to shift any website like WordPress to any new host, it will take 24 hours to for propagated all the things. It depends upon the TTL value of your DNS records. You can also try flushing your local DNS cache. You can easily change and DNS Server also assigns the ISP.
- Open command prompt window.
- You can write this Ipconfig/flushdns code there.
- Now you will see successfully flushed the DNS Resolver cache message.
- Mac Users, need to write the command dscacheutil -flush cache to flush the DNS cache.
Solution 3: Checking the Host of the Website
This problem also occurred due to the web host. Sometimes the request of the website takes a long time to accept but during this time it became canceled or killed by the server. Because most of the websites use hosting from the shared host that is implementing a kill script. Due to this kill script, it will cancel the request after some time.502 Bad Gateway occurs on those websites that are shared hosts like Twitter. On another hand, those websites run privately have their own SQL, LINUX, and PHP, it cannot depend on the shared host. That cannot receive 502 Bad Gateway.
Solution 4: Temporary Disable Content Delivery Network (CDN)
If you will use 3rd party CDN, it also gives you an easy way for troubleshooting. Through this you can easily disable CDN temporarily. If you can use the CDN enabler Plugin then you deactivate Plugin at the same time. Now you want to test the site. You will see the dashboard of the site cannot access. You will log in to the site via STFP and rename the old enabler Plugin for access the site. This is the CDN disabling the connection.
Solution 5: Browsers Cache should be Clear
Of dated and corrupt files and data stored on the different browsers of the cache can be the reason for the 502 Bad Gateway error. So, it is better for you to clear the browser history. You can also clear the browser’s cookies to fix the 502 Bad Gateway error. Then you will run the browser in safe mode. You used a default setting of the browser for resolving this issue.
Now you will read instructions for clearing the Cache of browsers. As we know there are different browsers that we can use. Some people like to use Google Chrome, and some like Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.
Here you will acknowledge the way to clear the cache of every browser.
Clear Cache of Google Chrome:
- Firstly, you will click on the three dots icon which is showing in the right corner of the browser of window.
- Now you should find more tool options and then select clear browser data from the submenu.
- You can use the 2nd option of deleting the history of the Google Chrome browser by pressing CTRL +SHIFT+DEL the open a popup window for Clear Browsing Data.
Clear Cache of Mozilla Firefox Browser:
- You can select the Hamburger icon that is located in the right corner of the browser’s window.
- Select History. After that select Clear Recent History.
- You can open the popup window by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+DEL. Then you can select Everything in a time range to clear the drop-down.
- Then make sure that you will select only the cache checkbox and click on Clear Now to Clear the Cache.
Clear Cache for Safari:
- For delete, the history goes to Safari then Clear history.
- If you want to clear browser history and cookies etc. then you will need to enable a Develop menu by going to Preferences => Advanced by checking the Show Menu bar box.
- Go to Develop => empty Caches for clearing the Safari browser.
Clear Cache for Internet Explorer:
- Firstly you can click the Gear icon that is shown in the top right corner of the Tool menu.
- Then you can find safety => Clear Browser history.
- Internet Explorer opens the popup window by pressing the shortcut key CTRL+SHIFT+DEL.
- Then you select the Temporary Internet files and website to protect important data.
- Click the button of Delete for the clear the cache.
Clear Browser Cache for Microsoft Edge:
- Click the three dots icon located in the top right corner of the browser window.
- Go to Setting => click on want to choose what to clear.
- Then select Cache Data and file to delete all kinds of data.
- Select the clear button.
- You can use the shortcut option for clearing history by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+DEL.
Clear browser Cache in Opera:
- Click on the Opera icon in the top left corner and find Setting or more tools.
- Then select browsing data from the submenu.
- You should select Obliterate the following items from equal to at least 4 weeks.
- Check the Cached images and files then select Clear Browsing Data.
Hopefully, this article will provide help to resolve the problem of 502 Bad Gateway Error. Reading this article, you will come to know the reasons for the 502 Bad Gateway Error and their possible solution. if you have any questions then let me know in the comment box.